Traditional Culture Encyclopedia - Travel guide - Introduction to the tourist attractions of the Forbidden City in Beijing. What are the historical stories of the Forbidden City in Beijing?

Introduction to the tourist attractions of the Forbidden City in Beijing. What are the historical stories of the Forbidden City in Beijing?

A brief introduction to the Forbidden City

The construction of the Forbidden City in Beijing began in the fourth year of Yongle (1406), and was modeled on the Nanjing Forbidden City. It was completed in the 18th year of Yongle (1420). , became the palace of twenty-four emperors of the Ming and Qing dynasties. On the National Day of the 14th year of the Republic of China (October 10, 1925), the Palace Museum was officially established and opened.

The Forbidden City in Beijing is 961 meters long from north to south and 753 meters wide from east to west. It is surrounded by 10-meter-high city walls and a 52-meter-wide moat outside the city. The Forbidden City has four gates, the Meridian Gate in the south, the Shenwu Gate in the north, the Donghua Gate in the east, and the Xihua Gate in the west. Each of the four corners of the city wall has a graceful turret. There is a folk saying of nine beams, eighteen columns and seventy-two ridges to describe the complexity of its structure.

The buildings in the Forbidden City in Beijing are divided into two parts: the outer court and the inner court. The center of the outer dynasty is the Hall of Supreme Harmony, the Hall of Zhonghe, and the Hall of Baohe, collectively referred to as the three main halls. They are the places where the country holds major ceremonies. The left and right wings of the three main halls are supplemented by two groups of buildings: Wenhua Hall and Wuying Hall. The center of the inner court is the Qianqing Palace, the Jiaotai Palace, and the Kunning Palace, collectively known as the Housan Palace. It is the main palace where the emperor and queen live.

On both sides of the Housan Palace are the East and West Sixth Palaces, where the concubines lived and rested. To the east of the East Sixth Palace are Buddhist temple buildings such as the Tianqiong Palace, and to the west of the West Sixth Palace are Buddhist temple buildings such as the Zhongzheng Hall. In addition to the Outer Court and the Inner Court, there are two buildings on the Outer East Road and the Outer West Road.

Academic value:

Looking at the Forbidden City from the perspective of Forbidden City studies, one not only recognizes the important value of the Forbidden City’s ancient buildings and palace cultural relics collections, but also sees that the historical remains of the palace are of equally important significance. ; More importantly, ancient buildings, cultural relic collections, historical relics, and the people and things that happened here are an inseparable cultural whole.

This understanding is an important basis for the emergence of Forbidden City Studies, and is also conducive to further exploring the historical and cultural connotations of the Forbidden City. This integrity of the Forbidden City culture also gives the cultural relics and archives in the Qing Palace collection that are scattered outside the hospital, overseas, and abroad an academic destination.

Based on this, exchanges and cooperation in academic research between the Palace Museum on both sides of the Taiwan Strait are inevitable. Artificial barriers can only be temporary. In fact, this kind of exchange is constantly developing.

The main attractions of the Forbidden City in Beijing

The Forbidden City is the most complete and largest wooden structure ancient building complex in China and even the world. It is known as "the first of the five major palaces in the world". The inner court is centered on the three palaces behind Qianqing Palace, Jiaotai Palace, and Kunning Palace, and the East Sixth Palace and West Sixth Palace on the east and west sides. It is where the feudal emperors and concubines lived, which is commonly known as the "Three Palaces and Six Courtyards" .

Among the attractions are the Shenwu Gate, which was called the "Xuanwu Gate" in the Ming Dynasty. , Xuanwu dominates the north, so the north gate of the imperial palace is often named "Xuanwu". During the Kangxi period of the Qing Dynasty, it was renamed "Shenwumen" to avoid taboos. The Shenwu Gate is also a city gate tower, with the highest-level double-eaves verandah-style roof. However, its main hall only has five bays plus corridors, and does not have two wings extending forward on the left and right, so it is one lower than the Meridian Gate in shape. grade. Shenwu Gate is the access control for daily access to the palace. Shenwu Gate is now the main entrance of the Palace Museum.

Donghua Gate and Xihua Gate correspond to each other at a distance. There is a stone tablet for dismounting the horse outside the gate. The Jinshui River flows north and south inside the gate. There is a stone bridge and three gates to the north of the bridge. . Donghua Gate has the same shape as Xihua Gate, with a rectangular plane, a red city platform, and a white jade Xumi pedestal. There are three coupon doors in the middle, and the coupon holes are square on the outside and round on the inside. There is a tower on the city platform, with yellow glazed tiles on the top of the veranda and double eaves. The tower is 5 rooms wide, 3 rooms deep, and surrounded by corridors.

There is a square with an area of ??about 26,000 square meters in front of Taihe Gate, with the Jinshui River meandering through it from west to east. There are five stone bridges across the river, which are commonly known as Neijinshui Bridge. On both sides of the square are neatly arranged verandas, known as the East and West Chaofang in the past, and there are Xiehe Gate (called Huiji Gate in the Ming Dynasty) and Xihe Gate (called Guiji Gate in the Ming Dynasty) facing each other from east to west.

The corridor on the east side was used as the Records Hall, the Jade Document Hall and the Living Notes Hall in the Ming Dynasty. In the Qing Dynasty, it was converted into the Office for Inspection and Imperial Edicts and the Imperial Palace. In the Ming Dynasty, the corridor on the west side was the Huidian Hall where the "Da Ming Huidian" was compiled and compiled. In the Qing Dynasty, it was changed to a study room and a living room.

The Hall of Supreme Harmony, commonly known as the "Jinluan Hall", was built in the 18th year of Yongle in the Ming Dynasty (1420) and was called the Fengtian Hall. In the 41st year of Jiajing reign (1562), it was renamed Huangji Hall. The name was changed in the second year of Shunzhi (1645) of the Qing Dynasty. It is the place where the emperor holds grand ceremonies. It has been burned down and rebuilt many times since it was built. What we see today is the shape after the reconstruction in the 34th year of Kangxi's reign (1695) in the Qing Dynasty.

The Hall of Harmony is located behind the Hall of Supreme Harmony, 27 meters high, square in plan, with three rooms in width and three rooms in depth, with corridors on all sides, and a construction area of ??580 square meters. It has a single eaves with yellow glazed tiles and a pointed roof at the four corners, with a gilded crown in the middle. The Hall of Zhonghe was the place where the emperor took a break and practiced etiquette before going to the Hall of Supreme Harmony for the grand ceremony.

Attractions in the Forbidden City

There are several attractions in the Forbidden City: Gate of Shenwu, Gate of Supreme Harmony, Hall of Supreme Harmony, and Hall of Zhonghe.

1. Shenwu Gate

Shenwu Gate was called "Xuanwu Gate" in the Ming Dynasty. Zhuque, after Xuanwu, Xuanwu dominates the north, so the north gate of the imperial palace is often named "Xuanwu".

2. Taihe Gate

There is a square with an area of ??about 26,000 square meters in front of Taihe Gate, with the Jinshui River meandering through it from west to east.

3. The Hall of Supreme Harmony

The Hall of Supreme Harmony, commonly known as the "Jinluan Hall", was built in the 18th year of Yongle in the Ming Dynasty (1420) and was called the Fengtian Hall.

4. Zhonghe Hall

Zhonghe Hall is located behind the Taihe Hall, 27 meters high, with a square front, three rooms in width and three rooms in depth, and corridors on all sides. The building area is 580 m2.

It has a single eaves with yellow glazed tiles and a pointed roof at the four corners, with a gilded crown in the middle. Zhonghe Hall is the place where the emperor took a rest before going to the Taihe Hall to hold a grand ceremony.

Introduction to the Forbidden City in Beijing:

The construction of the Forbidden City in Beijing began in the fourth year of Yongle (1406), the reign of Emperor Chengzu of the Ming Dynasty (1406). It was built based on the Forbidden City in Nanjing and was completed in the 18th year of Yongle (1420). .

It is a rectangular city, 961 meters long from north to south and 753 meters wide from east to west. It is surrounded by walls 10 meters high and a moat 52 meters wide outside the city. The buildings in the Forbidden City are divided into two parts: the outer court and the inner court. The center of the outer dynasty is the Hall of Supreme Harmony, the Hall of Zhonghe, and the Hall of Baohe, collectively referred to as the three main halls. They are the places where the country holds major ceremonies. The center of the inner court is the Qianqing Palace, the Jiaotai Palace, and the Kunning Palace, collectively known as the Housan Palace. It is the main palace where the emperor and queen live.

Introduction to the Forbidden City in Beijing

The Forbidden City in Beijing was built by Emperor Zhu Di of the Ming Dynasty and was designed by Kuai Xiang (1397-1481, courtesy name Tingrui, a native of Suzhou). It covers an area of ??720,000 square meters (961 meters long and 753 meters wide), with a construction area of ??about 150,000 square meters, and 1 million migrant workers. It took 14 years to build and has 9,999 and a half houses. According to the actual on-site measurement by experts in 1973, the Forbidden City has more than 90 courtyards, 980 houses, and a total of 8,707 rooms (Note: This "room" is not the current concept of a room, but refers to the space formed by four pillars. space).

The area is equivalent to 9 Versailles Palace. The architectural style of the Forbidden City

The front palace of the Forbidden City. At that time, the architectural style required grandeur and grandeur, with a clear and open courtyard, symbolizing the supremacy of the feudal regime. The Hall of Supreme Harmony is located in the center of the diagonal line of the Forbidden City, with ten statues on each corner. Auspicious beast. The designers of the Forbidden City believed that this would show the majesty of the emperor and shock the world. The inner court at the rear is required to be deep and compact, so the six east and west palaces are self-contained, each with its own gates and walls, arranged relative to each other in an orderly manner. After the inner court is the palace garden. ***2 pictures

The Forbidden City

The Forbidden City palaces are arranged along a north-south central axis. The three main halls, the back three palaces, and the Imperial Garden are all located on this central axis. And spread out to both sides, straight from north to south, symmetrical from left to right. This central axis not only runs through the Forbidden City, but also reaches Yongding Gate in the south and the Drum Tower and Bell Tower in the north, running through the entire city.

Detailed introduction to the attractions of the Forbidden City in Beijing?

The Forbidden City, also known as the Forbidden City, is located in the center of Beijing. Today people call her the Forbidden City, which means the palace of the past. The Forbidden City is 750 meters wide from east to west and 960 meters long from north to south, with an area of ??720,000 square meters, the largest in the world. The entire building of the Forbidden City is surrounded by two solid defense lines in the middle and surrounded by a moat 52 meters wide and 6 meters deep. ; Then there is the city wall with a circumference of 3 kilometers, with a height of nearly 10 meters and a bottom width of 8.62 meters. There are 4 gates on the city wall, the Meridian Gate in the south, the Shenwu Gate in the north, the Donghua Gate in the east, and the Xihua Gate in the west. There are also 4 turrets standing at the four corners of the city wall. The turrets have 3 layers of eaves and 72 roof ridges, which are exquisite and clear. , with unique shape, is a masterpiece of ancient Chinese architecture.

Taihe Hall of the Forbidden City

The Taihe Hall, commonly known as the Jinluan Hall, is the first of the "Three Main Halls" of the Forbidden City. It is built on a five-meter-high white marble platform with sculptures surrounding it. Dragon stone pillar. This is the largest building in the palace complex. The hall is 36 meters high, 63 meters wide and covers an area of ??2380 square meters. On the two-meter-high platform in the center of the hall is a gold-lacquered dragon throne. Behind the throne is an elegant screen, as well as pink gold-lacquered dragon pillars and an exquisite dragon caisson, which is magnificent. Celebrations such as the enthronement and birthdays of the emperors of the Ming and Qing dynasties, as well as the Spring Festival and Winter Solstice were all held here.

Zhonghe Hall in the Forbidden City

Zhonghe Hall is located behind the Taihe Hall and is one of the "three main halls" of the Forbidden City. The palace is a square palace with a single eaves and a pointed roof. Each side is 21 meters, with three rooms each. There are 20 corridor columns, yellow glazed tiles with spires at the four corners, and a gilded crown in the middle. When the emperor went to the Hall of Supreme Harmony for business, he would rest here first and receive the worship of the cabinet, the Ministry of Rites, and the bodyguards. On the day before various important ceremonies, the emperor would also read memorials and congratulations here.

Forbidden City Baohe Hall

Baohe Hall is located behind the Zhonghe Hall and is one of the "three main halls" of the Forbidden City. In the Qing Dynasty, every New Year's Eve and Lantern Festival, the emperor hosted banquets for princes, nobles, civil and military ministers here. During the Qianlong period, the triennial palace examinations were moved here from the Hall of Supreme Harmony. The verandahs on the east and west sides of Baohe Hall are now converted into art exhibition halls of past dynasties, displaying about six thousand years of Chinese art treasures from primitive society to the Qing Dynasty.

Qianqing Palace in the Forbidden City

Qianqing Palace is the main hall of the inner court. There is a throne in the palace with a plaque of "Upright and Bright". It was the residence of the emperors of the Ming and Qing dynasties and the place where political affairs were handled on weekdays. After Yongzheng moved out. Every year on New Year's Day, Lantern Festival, Dragon Boat Festival, Mid-Autumn Festival, Winter Solstice, Wanshou and other festivals, family banquets are held here as usual. In addition, the emperor's coffin stops in this hall after his death.

Forbidden City Jiaotai Hall

Jiaotai Hall is located behind the Qianqing Palace and was the place where birthday celebrations were held for the empress during the Ming and Qing Dynasties. There are 25 pieces of jade seals in the hall; on the west side there is a self-ringing bell made during the Qianlong period; on the east side there is a copper kettle dripper. An iron plate prohibiting internal officials from interfering in political affairs is also erected in this hall.

Kunning Palace in the Forbidden City

Kunning Palace was the queen's bedroom during the Ming Dynasty, also called the Middle Palace. During the Shunzhi period, it was rebuilt after the Qingning Palace in Shenyang, and the Xinuang Pavilion was changed to It is a place for worshiping gods, and morning sacrifices, evening sacrifices, spring and autumn festivals, etc. are often held here; Dongnuan Pavilion is used as the bridal chamber of the emperor's wedding. The four emperors of Shunzhi, Kangxi, Tongzhi and Guangxu of the Qing Dynasty all held their weddings here.

Forbidden City Imperial Garden

The Imperial Garden was formerly known as Gonghouyuan, and is now commonly known as the Imperial Garden. It covers an area of ??more than 11,000 square meters and has more than 20 buildings. With Qin'an Hall as the center, the garden architecture adopts a complementary, left-right and symmetrical layout, with a compact layout and classical magnificence. The Duixiu Mountain in the northeast of the palace is made of stacked Taihu stones, with the Royal View Pavilion built on it. The emperor and empress climbed here every year during the Double Ninth Festival.

Top Ten Attractions in the Forbidden City in Beijing

Top Ten Attractions in the Forbidden City in Beijing: Meridian Gate, Hall of Supreme Harmony, Hall of Zhonghe, Hall of Baohe, Palace of Qianqing, Hall of Jiaotai, and Kunning Palace , Chuxiu Palace, Yangxin Palace, and Imperial Garden.

1. Meridian Gate

The main entrance of the Forbidden City is called "Meridian Gate", commonly known as Wufeng Tower. The east, west, north and west are connected by a 12__ city platform, surrounding a _shaped_ field. There is a heavy tower in the middle, which is a 9-bay wide palace. On the top of the verandah with double eaves, there are two towers extending from the left and right walls. There are four pavilions with connected eaves and ridges connected by open corridors. There are 13 palaces on each wing. The house extends to the south, with __ pavilions at each corner, supporting the main hall.

2. Hall of Supreme Harmony

The Hall of Supreme Harmony, commonly known as the Jinluan Hall, is the first of the "Three Main Halls" of the Forbidden City. It is built on a five-meter-high white marble platform with towers surrounding it. Carved dragon stone pillar. This is the largest building in the palace complex, with a height of 36 meters, a width of 63 meters, and an area of ??2380 square meters.

In the center of the hall is a two-meter-high platform with a gold-lacquered dragon throne. Behind the throne is an elegant screen, as well as gold-lacquered dragon pillars and an exquisite dragon caisson, which is magnificent. Celebrations such as the enthronement and birthdays of the emperors of the Ming and Qing dynasties, as well as the Spring Festival and Winter Solstice were all held here.

3. Zhonghe Hall

Zhonghe Hall is located behind the Taihe Hall and is one of the "three major halls" of the Forbidden City. The palace is a square palace with a single eaves and a pointed roof. Each side is 21 meters, with three rooms each. There are 20 corridor columns, yellow glazed tiles with spires at the four corners, and a gilded crown in the middle. When the emperor went to Zhonghe Hall for business, he would rest here first and accept the worship of the cabinet, the Ministry of Rites and the bodyguards. On the day before various important ceremonies, the emperor would also read memorials and congratulations here.

4. Baohe Hall

Baohe Hall is located behind the Zhonghe Hall and is one of the "three major halls" of the Forbidden City. In the Qing Dynasty, every New Year's Eve and Lantern Festival, the emperor entertained princes and civil and military ministers here. During the Qianlong period, the three-year imperial examination was moved here from the Hall of Supreme Harmony. The verandahs on the east and west sides of Baohe Hall are now converted into art exhibition halls of past dynasties, displaying about six thousand years of Chinese art treasures from primitive society to the Qing Dynasty.

5. Qianqing Palace

Qianqing Palace is the main hall of the inner court. There is a throne in the palace with a plaque of "Upright and Bright". It was the residence of the emperors of the Ming and Qing dynasties and the place where political affairs were handled on weekdays. , moved to Yangxin Hall after Yongzheng. Every year on New Year's Day, Lantern Festival, Dragon Boat Festival, Mid-Autumn Festival, Winter Solstice, Wanshou and other festivals, family banquets are held here as usual. In addition, the emperor's coffin stops in this hall after his death.

6. Jiaotai Hall

Jiaotai Hall is behind the Qianqing Palace and was the place where birthday celebrations were held for the queen during the Ming and Qing Dynasties. There are 25 pieces of jade seals in the hall; on the west side there is a self-ringing bell made during the Qianlong period; on the east side there is a copper kettle dripper. An iron plate prohibiting internal officials from interfering in political affairs is also erected in this hall.

7. Kunning Palace

Kunning Palace was the queen's bedroom during the Ming Dynasty, also called the Middle Palace. During the Shunzhi period, it was rebuilt after the Qingning Palace in Shenyang, and the Xinuang Pavilion was changed into As a place for worshiping gods, morning sacrifices, evening sacrifices, spring and autumn festivals, etc. are often held here; Dongnuan Pavilion serves as the emperor's bridal chamber. The four emperors of Shunzhi, Kangxi, Tongzhi, and Guangxu of the Qing Dynasty all held their weddings here.

8. Chuxiu Palace

Chuxiu Palace is where the concubines of the Ming and Qing dynasties lived. In the second year of Xianfeng (AD 1852), Cixi lived here when she first entered the palace and was named a Lan noble. In March of the sixth year of Xianfeng's reign, Cixi, who was promoted to concubine, gave birth to Emperor Tongzhi here. In the tenth year of Guangxu (AD 1884), Empress Dowager Cixi, who had already lived in Changchun Palace, moved to this palace to celebrate her fiftieth birthday and renovated the palace, spending 630,000 taels of silver.

9. Yangxin Hall

The Yangxin Hall is an I-shaped hall. The front hall is three rooms wide, 36m wide, 3 rooms deep, and 12m deep. It has a mountain-style roof with yellow glazed tiles, and a roll-up shed in the Ming Dynasty and the West Phase to embrace the building. In the front eaves and columns, two square columns are added to each room, making the appearance look like 9 rooms.

10. Imperial Garden

The Imperial Garden, formerly known as Gonghouyuan, is now commonly known as the Imperial Garden. It covers an area of ??12,000 square meters and has more than 20 buildings. With Qin'an Hall as the center, the garden architecture adopts a complementary, left-right and symmetrical layout, with a compact layout and classical magnificence. The Duixiu Mountain in the northeast of the palace is made of stacked Taihu stones, with the Royal View Pavilion built on it. The emperor and empress climbed here every year during the Double Ninth Festival.